It is of grave concern to me that the Native Title Act of 1993 still allows the hunting of endangered and vulnerable species within our country.
Colin Riddell and I have been calling for a moratorium on the hunting of dugong and turtle until research shows how many are left.
We now believe a moratorium is futile.
Dugongs, turtles and fifty other Australian animals are hunted and inhumanely slaughtered in large numbers, under the guise of traditional hunting practices.
The killing has to stop. Dugongs and turtles are endangered, and we are witnessing a rapid and unwarranted decline. We can no longer stand by and watch, witness to the impending extinction of this precious marine life.
In March 2012, Rupert Imhoff and Colin Riddell exposed on the 7:30 Report, the extraordinary cruelty and abuse of provisions within the Native Title Act that enable the killings and the black market to flourish.
We therefore call for an urgent change to the Native Title Act 1993, so that any endangered or vulnerable animal or marine life is excluded from hunting by any means, for any reason.
We are joined in this campaign by:
- Animals Australia
- Australian Anti Shark Finning Alliance
- Australian Freshwater Turtles
- Australian Wildlife Protection Council
- Australian Wildlife Society
- Australians for Animals
- Barristers Animal Welfare Panel
- Bat Conservation & Rescue Qld
- Cairns Turtle Rehabilitation Centre
- Cedar Creek Wombat Rescue
- Durong Dingo Sanctuary
- Earthrace Conservation
- Fourth Crossing Wildlife
- International Anti Poaching Foundation
- Koala Hospital Port Macquarie
- Koala Preservation Society NSW Inc
- National Animal Rescue Groups of Australia Inc.
- North Queensland Crocodile Protection Society
- ORRCA – Marine Mammal Rescue & Research
- OZARK Australia Wildlife Carers Network
- Queensland Koala Crusaders
- RSPCA Queensland
- Save Australian Dugongs & Turtles
- Save Fraser Island Dingoes
- Sea Shepherd Australia
- Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter
- The Ochre Project
- Tree Roo Rescue
- Twinnies Pelican & Seabird Rescue Inc
- Western Australians for Shark Conservation
- Wildcare Inc
- Wildlife Protection Association of Australia
- Wombat Awareness Organisation
You can join us too. Please support Bob Irwin Wildlife & Conservation Foundation Inc.
Add your voice to this call. The matter is urgent and needs your immediate action. Please share this on your Facebook and Twitter accounts. Email your local member. Talk to your friends.